Friday, July 30, 2010

1970-1972 - LITTLE PIECE OF ME

He lies asleep inside his world of cowboys and ice cream,
where every night he finds himself the star of every dream.
Some nights he may be on a ship to visit foreign lands,
or maybe on his horse he rides across the desert sands.
He's so young and I don't know where I'd be
if it wasn't for that little piece of me.

When we're walking hand in hand, I'm always very proud
to know he's someone special in the faceless crowd.
And I can't help but wonder what he'll grow up to be:
a doctor or a lawyer, or man that's simply free.

I wonder when he grows up if he'll have to fight a war
like his daddy did justy twenty years before.
Or by then, will all the war and hatred cease to be?
Dear God, for his sake, bring this world to peace.

When bedtime rolls around and I lay him down to sleep,
I cannot help but feel a pain that comes from way down deep.
He's lying there so peaceful with his ragged teddy bear.
I turn to smile at Daddy, but I see that no one's there.

A tear comes down and soon I find that I will start to cry.
Oh God, why do young men have to die?
Then I turn around to see my special, little man,
and I pull myself together once again.

He's so young and I don't know where I'd be
if it wasn't for that little piece of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment